The European Center for Art in Upper Bavaria is located on the outskirts of Freising in the Munich area, in a former sheep stable (Schafhof). The location in the midst of nature, exceptional architecture and a versatile cultural program make the Schafhof a center of contemporary art as well as a popular tourist destination. The "Café Botanika at Schafhof" affords visitors an additional culinary service, along with a beautiful view of the City of Freising and Weihenstephan, in a creative atmosphere. The proprietor of the European Center for Art is the District County of Upper Bavaria.
The European Center for Art in Upper Bavaria has three comfortable live-in studios for visiting artists from all over Europe. The "European Art Scholarship Upper Bavaria" opened in 2005 with the aim to promote European ideals and enrich the region's cultural life.
Usually twice a year, three visual artists from other European countries have the opportunity to stay and work at the Schafhof for two or three months. In exchange, three Upper Bavarian artists have a chance to stay in a partner country for the same time period.
The exhibition program places current trends in contemporary art from all over Europe, Freising and Upper Bavaria in context. It focuses on presenting the products of the artist-in-residence program, thematic group exhibitions of international and local artists and outstanding solo exhibitions.
Supporting programs, such as art discussions, lectures, workshops for children and adults, tours and other events provide numerous opportunities to meet and experience contemporary art. The Schafhof’s offerings include Open Studio Days, craft markets and cooperations with external partners like a series of film screenings and literary readings.
Commissioned by King Max I. Joseph, the Schafhof was built in 1819/1820 as stables for the royal merino sheep. Its builder was Maximilian Schönleutner. From 1994 to 2002 the Schafhof was used as agricultural museum, managed by the district of Upper Bavaria and the Bavarian National Museum. On the 10th of July 2005, the Schafhof was reopened as the European Center for Art in Upper Bavaria.